If your printouts are coming out a little streaky or subpar, it might be time to replace your ink cartridge. The issue could be a clogged or a misaligned print head. Sometimes, you may also get the message “printhead missing” or “printhead not installed”. Thankfully, the steps to fix problems like these are simple. Check out our easy troubleshooting tips below. We’ll help your printer deliver high quality prints once again in no time!
How To Check Your Printhead
You may be asking yourself, “What is a printhead?”. Well, the printhead is the part of the ink cartridge that applies ink onto the paper. In other words, it ‘writes’ the characters and ‘draws’ the images on the page.
- Make sure your printer is on
- Open the cartridge door
- Press the tab on the cartridge to release it.
- Gently remove it.
How to Clean Your Printhead
- A lint-free cloth
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Use the alcohol to slightly dampen the cloth
- Wipe the electrical contacts areas. Do this until they are fully clean.
- Dry your printhead with a dry lint-free cloth
This video demonstrates how to clean the printheads and clogged cartridges in detail. Bonus! It also claims to work for most popular printer brands and models.
- Go to control settings
- Select your printer
- Explore the hardware tab to find the cleaning tab (this may also be under the maintenance or services tab).
- Make sure the printer has paper loaded in tray
- Run the cleaning program
- Check the test print for quality
Tips to keep your print quality good
- Ensure that your ink or toner cartridge is properly installed and aligned.
- Perform regular maintenance checks as recommended by the printer manufacturer.
- Use your printer regularly and keep it clean. Most clogging and drying problems occur because of dust or grime; or due to infrequent use.
- Keep the printer in a dust free area.
- Print an occasional invoice here or photo there to avoid drying of ink and clogging of the heads.