HP Printer Firmware Downgrade Instructions
Firmware updates are released mostly to fix firmware bugs, crashes or issues to improve a printer's performance. However, this is not the case if you are using remanufactured or third party ink cartridges.
Aside from fixing printer issues, firmware updates are also designed by printer industries to limit the use of third party ink cartridges. If you are currently using or planning to use remanufactured inks, then we strongly advise you to 'NOT' update your printer's firmware to its latest version. Please note that once your firmware has been updated, your printer will only accept OEM or original ink cartridges unless you will perform an HP firmware downgrade or reset HP printer to default settings.
- How would I know if my printer's firmware has been updated?
Printer industries can automatically update your printer's firmware without you knowing especially if it is connected to your Wi-Fi or through a cable that is connected directly to your computer with an internet connection.
If you are getting an error messages such as 'Cartridge is missing or damaged.', 'Remove and reinstall ink cartridge.', 'Cartridge not being recognized.' or if the ink cartridges suddenly stopped working when it was working perfectly fine the first time, it means that you might be one of those who are affected by the firmware update. But no worries as you can still have your printer to accept remanufactured ink cartridges by doing a HP printer firmware reset or downgrade which will be discussed later in this page.
- How can I avoid this update?
We highly suggest you to check and read carefully any message that pops up on your computer or printer screen and to not accept it if prompted for a firmware update. It will also be best to disable the auto-update feature found on your printer settings.
- How can I reverse or perform an Epson printer firmware downgrade?
Recently, HP released a firmware update. If you are not yet affected by this, you can refer to the instructions below on how to disable future HP firmware upgrades. Otherwise, if you are one of those that are affected by this recent HP firmware changes, then the instructions below might help you on how to downgrade HP printer's firmware.
NOTE: Please be informed that using our compatible replacement printer ink cartridges will never void your printer warranty. Please contact us for any further questions.
How to Revert or Perform an HP Firmware Downgrade for HP 90x/95x/97x Series Printers
There might be some cases that you won't be able to downgrade the new firmware in your printer. Please proceed with caution.
Make sure your printer is in good condition. Turn off or disable the "Automatically Update Check" function.
- Check if your printer is connected to the computer via USB cable.
- Download and run the older version of the firmware installation package on your computer. Find the proper link from the printer model list below.
For HP 90x Series
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6950 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6954 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6960 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6962 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6968 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6975 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer
For HP 95x Series
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8210 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8216 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8218 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8718 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8728 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 8745 All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 Wide Format All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 7730 Wide Format All-in-One Printer
- HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer
For HP 97x Series
- HP Pagewide 352dw
- HP Pagewide MFP 377dw/dn
- HP Pagewide Pro 452dw/dn
- HP Pagewide Pro MFP 477dw/dn
- HP Pagewide Pro 552dw
- HP Pagewide Pro MFP 577dw/Z
- HP Pagewide Managed P55250dw
- HP Pagewide Managed MFP P57750dw
- Open the downloaded firmware downgrade software. Wait for the software to automatically search for your printer.
- Once your printer is detected, the name will be shown on the software window title bar.
- Check on the printer that you want to downgrade, and click on the 'Update' button to start the process.
- Please make sure that both the printer and computer power is always on and doesn't get interrupted beyond this point.
- Once the downgrade process is done, it will show the notification saying the printer has been successfully updated. Click 'OK' to close the notification.
- Your firmware has been successfully downgraded. You will be able to see the new firmware version like shown below. Click 'Exit' to finish and close the software window box. After this, you should be able to start printing with your compatible cartridge again.